Building on a Legacy of Care
Our Project: Building on a Legacy of Care
Hospice of Wichita Falls has embarked on a $15 million comprehensive community campaign to build a new inpatient care center on our 3-1/2-acre property on Cypress Avenue and update our main campus facilities. This will allow Hospice of Wichita Falls to continue to provide the highest quality care to the growing numbers of our aging population. The details of our Building on a Legacy of Care expansion project are outlined below:
New Inpatient Care Center
This state-of-the-art, free-standing facility will include:
- A large, welcoming lobby, accented by natural light and comfortable seating areas
- 24 large inpatient suites that allow the highest quality of patient care, convenience, and piece-of-mind to the family and loved ones
- A central nurses station, providing easy access to all inpatient suites
- A commercial-grade kitchen for meal preparation, capable of serving patients, guests, and staff
- A dining area for family and friends
- Ample storage for clinical and facility supplies
- Numerous gathering spaces:
- Designated children’s areas
- Hospitality areas inside that include a business center and family rooms and highly landscaped courtyards and walking trail outside
- Peaceful indoor and outdoor family gathering areas
Updates to our Main Campus will include:
- A Palliative Care clinic in the former inpatient center to accommodate this growing program
- Expanded Homecare and Social Services areas
- Clinical Staff Education Center, complete with simulated patient room and training lab
- A large meeting and event space to house staff meetings and training as well as opportunities for after-hours functions with easy access for attendees
- New Bereavement Center for onsite delivery of programs and services
- Staff Wellness Center
- Additional updates to the existing space to allow for better department placement and future growth
This project is vital for Hospice of Wichita Falls to continue providing the highest quality end-of-life care to our patients for the next 30 years and beyond.
What is Building on a Legacy of Care?
Building on a Legacy of Care is a $15 million fundraising campaign by Hospice of Wichita Falls to support the construction of a 24-bed, free-standing inpatient care center. Additionally, it will provide capital for renovations and additions to our aging main campus that will accommodate our growing needs.
Is this project necessary?
From 2010 to 2016, the average daily census for our organization grew by 68%. In 2016 alone, our 12-bed inpatient center saw an average daily census of 11 patients, and on many occasions, beds were unavailable when needed. With this dramatic increase in numbers, current resources are stretched to capacity. Research shows that in the next 30 years, the elderly population in our communities could grow by as much as five times its current numbers. Building on a Legacy of Care will enable us to expand existing services and prepare for the future.
What happens to the current Center?
Our current 12-bed inpatient center will undergo renovations to allow for the first Palliative Care Clinic in our area, which will offer specialized care (but not hospice care) for people with advanced or serious illnesses. This Clinic will include two exam rooms, a consultation room, offices for doctors and support staff, and a reception area for patients. A Staff Education and Training Center, complete with training lab, simulation rooms, and office space will also be a part of the renovations taking place within our existing center. Other renovations and additions will take place throughout our Johnson Road campus as well, providing much-needed updates and improvements.
What is the size of the future Inpatient Care Center and how much will it cost?
Our new state-of-the-art center will be approximately 38,000 sq. ft and include 24 spacious, inpatient suites, multiple family areas (including a bistro/café, children’s, and teen’s rooms), a chapel, offices and meeting space for on-site staff and interdisciplinary team members, outside patios, landscaped serenity gardens, and a walking trail. The new inpatient center accounts for $10 million of our project budget at a cost of approximately $268/sq. ft.
When will you break ground on the new Center?
We won’t break ground until 100% of our $15 million project goal has been achieved. We anticipate breaking ground by July of 2019.
Why should I give?
Chances are, you have a relative or friend who has benefitted from the services provided by Hospice of Wichita Falls. Since its inception in 1985, Hospice of Wichita Falls has cared for more than 15,000 patients. However, those numbers grow exponentially when you consider that the patient and family are considered part of the unit of care. This unique philosophy sets us apart from other organizations.
As this area’s only community based non-profit hospice, our services are available to anyone, regardless of their ability to pay. This is only possible because of the generosity of those in the communities we serve. Your gift will positively impact the lives of countless patients and their families for generations to come.
Hospice of Wichita Falls Volunteers have committed more than $50,000. 100% of the 204 full-time HOWF employees have committed $120,000, with an average gift amount of $588 per staff. Hospice of Wichita Falls Board of Directors have personally committed more than $660,000 and local and area physician’s gifts are increasing each day.
These individuals understand the importance of this project to our community. We are grateful for their commitment to Hospice of Wichita Falls and Building on a Legacy of Care.